Thirty-four years practical and theoretical experience with military and civil applications of nuclear power, the design, effects, and detection of nuclear weapons, and the technical and diplomatic instruments of nuclear nonproliferation.
Dr. Standley has been with the Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration since 2003 serving as a program manager for space-based nuclear detonation detection research and development. Dr. Standley was appointed to be the DOE Faculty Chair to the College of Information in Cyberspace at the National Defense University beginning in November 2017, after serving one year at the College of International Security Affairs as visiting faculty. Prior to the DOE, Dr. Standley was a nuclear inspector in the International Atomic Energy Agency and nuclear scientist in the U.S. Air Force.
Dr. Standley earned a Ph.D. in physics from the Technical University of Vienna, Austria, an MS in Operations Research and Management Science from George Mason University, an MS in Nuclear Engineering from the Air Force Institute of Technology, and a BS in Nuclear Engineering from Oregon State University. Following are links to his most recent publications:
- Standley, V.H., Poon, M.D. & Baughman, J.M., Mobile Military Reactors, Multidisciplinary International Conference of Research Applied to Defense and Security (accepted), Quito, Ecuador, July 29 -31 (2020)
- Standley, V.H., Boucheron, E.A. Kirkwood, R.K., & Norman, B.E., Earth Coverage Model for GPS-like Capabilities, Multidisciplinary International Conference of Research Applied to Defense and Security (accepted), Quito, Ecuador, July 29 -31 (2020)
- Standley, V.H.: COVID-19’s lesson for nuclear detonation warning. Space News, Volume 31, Issue 5, pp. 25 – 27, May 11 (2020)
- Standley, V.H., Nuño, F.G. & Sharpe, J.W. Fusing attack detection and severity probabilities: a method for computing minimum-risk war decisions. Computing (2020)
- Standley, V.H., Nuño, F.G. & Sharpe, J.W. Modeling Interstate War Combat Deaths, International Journal of Modeling and Optimization, February (2020)
- Standley, V.H.: Earth’s orbit and atmosphere both need nuclear power. Space News, Volume 30, Issue 8, pp. 28 – 29, June 10, 2019.
- Standley, V.H., F.G. Nuno, and J.W. Sharpe: Minimization of Attack Risk with Bayesian Detection Criteria. COMPLEXIS 2019, 2 – 4 May, Heraklion, Greece (Awarded Best Paper).
- Standley, V.H.: What’s Missing in the 2019 Missile Defense Review. RealClearDefense (Online), January 26, 2019.
- Standley, V.H. and R.B. Everetts: The Calculus of Protecting Interstate Competition from Cyber Attack. CyCon 2018, Nov. 18 - 20, 2019 in Washington D.C., USA
- Standley, V.H. and E.A. Boucheron: Space-based Unidirectional Networks and Resiliency. QRS 2018, July 16 – 20, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Standley, V.H. and F.G. Nuño: Bolt Out of the Blue: Nuclear Attack Warning in the Era of Information and Cyber Warfare. War on the Rocks (online), June 14, 2018.
- Standley, V.H.: What’s Missing in the 2018 Nuclear Posture Review, RealClearDefense (online), March 06, 2018.
Introduction Video Click HERE